"New-Method" No. 3
We have published the email bulletin "New-Method" with our works and a guest contribution, and this third issue features the illustrator Jun Tsuzuki for the contributor, who supervised "History of Japanese Illustration" published recently.
New-Method / New Eidos
Jun Tsuzuki (Illustrator)
It is nothing valuable if one picks up a problem obvious to anyone and states it as a problem. It is valuable only if one discovers a problem hitherto assumed by no one and keeps thinking about it. The thought can be valuable as it is driven by will and duty.
It is impossible to explain a problem. One thinks about it because one cannot explain it to oneself, and there should be no thought if explanation is possible. Still one can imply that one is thinking about it. There will be a trace of thought tying to explain it.
Then, is logic identical to thought? Logic is not thought but processing. If it has an input "A is B," it will output "A is B." No matter how complex its procedures are, it is not thought but an automatic process. No matter how complex its procedures are, it can be reduced into simple propositions. I am writing this text with thinking about what logic is.
Then, is life identical to thought? Life is not thought but processing. So, is life same as logic? The process of logic has no deviations while the process of life has them. The process of logic will draw lines or circles while the process of life will draw spirals. I am writing this text with thinking about how life differs from logic.
These texts are what I wrote on logic and life, as well as being a trace of my thought on New-Method and New Eidos.
cf. About New Eidos http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/neweidos_e.html
[Web Works of the New-Methodicists]
- Takahiro Hirama
A figure with only position, without length, area and volume.
The position is the place where a thing is located.
The length is the amount to measure spatial distance between two points.
The area is the amount to express the size of a shape within a flat or curved surface.
The volume is the amount to express how much of three-dimensional space an object occupies.
The figure is the various shape to fulfill certain conditions.
- Shogo Baba
72845 prime numbers displayed as Unicode
Unicode, a character encoding, is a concept, so too is HTML.
Unicode allocates all the possible characters all over the world to the numbers listed from 1 to 921599 (decimal base).
On the web browser that puts semantic contents prior to our perception, displaying the prime numbers within the list does not differ at all from doing the same in Unicode as a numerical sequence. (Although this work is composed to be encoded as UTF-8, it does not matter which encoding is applied.)
- Hideki Nakazawa
Source and Execution No. 8 - 13
Presentation of permutations or combinations is nothing but a consequence of simple and honest execution of the tautology. While paying homage to the works of permutations or combinations by minimalists and others in the previous century, Methodicists or New-Methodicists intend to complete the thoroughly simple and honest tautology by revealing its logic and expelling its aura. In six works exhibited here, "Source," not poetic instruction, will correspond to the revealing of the logic, and "Execution" by web browsers, not human handwork, will correspond to the expelling of the aura.
- "New-Method at VACANT" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlvLNi7VBA4
- "Purchase of the Public Lottery Ticket" http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/lottery_e.html
Takahiro Hirama's lottery number is 42-157637. Shogo Baba's lottery number is 79-129382. Hideki Nakazawa's lottery number is 52-160428.
- "New-Method" official webpage has been updated. http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/
- Takahiro Hirama has updated his website. http://hrmtkhr.web.fc2.com/
- Shogo Baba has updated his website. http://7x7whitebell.net/
- Hideki Nakazawa has updated his website. http://aloalo.co.jp/nakazawa/
- If you would like to receive the email bulletin "New-Method," please let us know.
- This bulletin is free to redistribute while all rights are reserved.
How was the third issue of "New-Method"? If you're interested in Mr.Tsuzuki's contribution, please check his Twitter account "@neweidos" as well. Then you'll find very interesting texts on his exhibition (in Japanese only, though). (Kaido)
Takahiro Hirama @qwertyu1357
Shogo Baba @shogobaba
Hideki Nakazawa @nakaZAWAHIDEKI
Masaru Kaido @kaido1900
Bulletin "New-Method" No. 3 English Version
Published on Dec. 4, 2010
- Multiposted both the else Japanese email and the above English email to both users of Japanese and English together with Takahiro Hirama and Shogo Baba. Updated the website.
- This site is made in person by Hideki Nakazawa. See also "Notebook."
- Make contact with Gallery Cellar for Nakazawa's works, writings, lectures and others. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org including CC to email@example.com .
Japanese | NAKAZAWA HIDEKI's homepage